Monday, March 5, 2007


This image has so many horrifying meanings to it. It makes me honestly a little sick to my stomach. I also can't handle surgery on TV and bloody movies. That is my queasiness tolerance not to compare this disturbing quality of the poster to TV surgery and bloody movies. When asked what does this image tell me, I can say that it tells me silence is never women's best option. She is ground head first, losing her ability to speak, to protest, her face. The face is what most would consider our most human aspect. It makes us unique, allows us to have expression, to show our feelings. All that is left, currently, is her lower half: the clitoris, labia, vagina, maybe half a uterus, her legs. Her ability to violated vaginally is still intact. This image makes me sad and angry. But most of all, it makes me not want to stay silent. Yes, women have come a long way, but we haven't gone all the way. This image tells me that women still have a ways to go. Hope is not lost or even ground but silence is not the answer. She may not have a face, but I still do. I still have my voice, and I can use it.

No comments: